iOS Universal, Android, PC/Mac •
One of the most beloved (if not THE most beloved) CRPGs of all time was released back in 1999 and used the greatest RPG engine ever created, the Infinity Engine [don’t argue with him about this…he locked Alex in the cellar just for suggesting that the Gold Box games were better -ed.]. Even without the title of the post screaming what game I’m talking about, most of you would instantly know I’m referring to the fantastic Planescape: Torment. Nearly 20 years after its initial release, Beamdog has polished it up and reissued it in a new Enhanced Edition which has gone live for iOS, Android, and PC/Mac.
Planecape: Torment puts you in the shoes of an amnesiac whose history is outlined in scars and tattoos that cover his entire body. What sets P:T apart from other RPGs of its day (or even today) is that there’s no big baddie trying to take over or destroy the world. Instead, the search for your memories and soul lie at the heart of the game, with a wonderful story detailing both your companions and the awesome city of Sigil taking center stage.
The Enhanced Edition updates the presentation for modern eyes and fixes bugs and other issues that have lingered since the Clinton presidency.
- Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.
- Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.
- 4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high definition with tons of new convenience features.
- A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!
The game is coming to all platforms, and is $20 on PC/Mac, $10 on tablets. It appears to be available right now for iOS and Android, but the PC/Mac versions seem to still be waiting in the starting gate. Don’t worry, they’ll be released soon, as all versions are supposed to be released today. Keep trying the links and, eventually, you’ll hit pay dirt.
- Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition for iOS Universal, $10
- Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition for Android, $10
- Planescape: Torment for PC/Mac via GoG, $20
- Planescape: Torment for PC/Mac via Steam, $20