iPad, PC/Mac •
There was a time–well before anyone had coined the phrase App-ocalypse–that Spiderweb Software had their fill with Apple and vowed to never produce another RPG for our tablets. Remember that? Spiderweb guru Jeff Vogel was lamenting the fact that iOS 8.3 broke their engine, and they were taking their ball and going home. They eventually relented, with the reveal that Jeff’s initial rage was caused by some underlying medical issues and things happening outside the wonderful world of coding. That circus revolved around the release of Avernum 2 and, thanks to Pocket Gamer, we learned that we can expect the final chapter in the saga, Avernum 3, next year.
If you’re not familiar with Spiderweb’s offerings, think Baldur’s Gate right down to the late 1990’s, early 2000’s level graphics. Much like what Zac mentioned earlier today, however, don’t let the lack of shiny art fool you. Their RPGs are deep, story-filled romps that will make any CRPG fan happy. There’s a lot buried in the Spiderweb titles, and much of the fun is digging it out.
Like the previous Avernum titles, the story within is self-contained and you don’t need to play the previous entries to have a ball delving into this one. Here’s the blurb:
- Enormous fantasy adventure with over 60 hours of gameplay.
- Explore an enormous continent and underworld, with multiple nations and alien cultures.
- Over 150 towns and dungeons, that change and crumble as time passes.
- Packed with things to do. Become a merchant or bounty hunter. Buy a house. Explore the enormous world.
- Cool story and unique races and settings make Avernum different from any adventure out there.
- Dozens of side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts.
- Rich game system with over 60 spells and battle disciplines and a multitude of beneficial character traits to choose from.
Yes, that’s all in a game you can play on your tablet. Don’t believe me? Try out any of the other Spiderweb titles and you’ll see that the App Store isn’t as barren of decent RPGs as you originally thought. Avernum 3 will be available for PC, Mac, and iPad in 2018. Until then, here are links to those other Spiderweb classics. Enter at your own risk.
- Avernum: Escape From the Pit for iPad, $10
- Avernum 2: Crystal Souls for iPad, $10
- Avernum 6 HD for iPad, $7
- Avadon: The Black Fortress for iPad, $10
- Avadon 2: The Corruption for iPad, $10
- Avadon 3: The Warborn for iPad, $12