One day, lad, all this will be yours!

Battle of Polytopia going multiplayer

iOS Universal, Android •

The end of every game of Battle of Polytopia is an exercise in building self-esteem. I finish each game feeling great about how I did and then see my score is several hundred thousand points behind anyone on the leaderboards. Hooray for me! The only thing that would be more gut wrenching would be your friends personally crushing you in-game. That’s what we have to look forward to as Battle of Polytopia gets updated with multiplayer in February.

We don’t have a lot of info about the upcoming multiplayer mode, just this:

We also don’t know if it will be an update to the existing title or an entirely new app. The wording “Multiplayer of Polytopia” could just be a play on what we already have, or it could be a completely separate thing altogether. A good journalist would find these things out, but I prefer to think of myself as an influencer.

If you’re not aware, Battle of Polytopia is a brilliant little 4X game that puts a simple, yet deep, game of Civ in your pocket. It has a gaggle of units, a tech-tree to manage, and a world to explore. The difference is, the world is small and your time is short. Solo games are only 30 turns and you’re trying to get the best score possible in that tiny timeframe. Will multiplayer games be scored with a time limit, or will they be of the Domination style game, where last cube standing wins?  Only time, or a talented journalist, could get these secrets from Midjiwan. I’ll stick with time.

Liked it? Take a second to support Stately Play on Patreon!

Notable Replies

1. I repeatedly smashed the “like” heart but I didn’t register as 20 likes.

2. This is a huge problem for me. I had to delete Polytopia long ago because it was too addictive.

3. It uses codes? And they are that long?

4. Is it asynch or live games?

5. Player ID: oe5AuDBtKH8v5NzD

(after I updated, my player ID changed)

6. I am gGuuXU9uP5wIlBcJ

Halfvoids code didn’t work for me either

7. My code changed after I updated, guessing this new one will work.

ID: oe5AuDBtKH8v5NzD

8. confirmative :blush:

9. js619 says:

Got @halfvoid too. As an aside, is it really necessary for the keyboard to pop up when adding a friend? Are there really people entering those codes manually lol?

10. athros says:

Completely async. 24 hour turn timer, and if you're late the game says you get the boot. No way to change the timer it seems.

Who's running the first tournament?

11. js619 says:

Looks like it updated again this afternoon on iOS to address some mp issues.

12. Looks like you can only play friends via invite. No matchmaking service whatsoever, which is a bit of a bummer, but that wouldn't stop a Stately tourney. I sent out a friendly match invite to everyone who posted codes. You can play up to ten players including AI.

13. Woo—tried opening Polytopia again and logged in with no problem. Code is JNe1vToKnPqfVgSl

Gonna go through and add all of you ...

14. athros says:

Nice! Added you without a problem!

15. Urg. Well I deleted the app and left the beta, hoping it would fix that, but apparently the multiplayer update hasn't rolled out on Android in Europe yet on the production version.

From twitter it sounds like there were still some hiccups with the servers and the Dev paused the rollout to sort it.

Probably why the game invite I sent didn't show up until much later, assuming it didn't only show up for you. (only sent one for The Field of Tribes)

Will update my code when I jump back into the beta again, so go ahead and drop the halfvoid in your friends list. (beta's full now, guess I get to wait)

16. athros says:

I’m so confused. I have a game waiting on you to start it @halfvoid

Well, I guess we see what happens in...13 hours. Does it auto start and then put a bot in for @halfvoid? Or just vanish?

17. No idea. I have no way back in until the dev opens the release gates again so we have access to it outside of the beta builds on Android in EU/UK, or I can manage to get back in the beta.

Either way, my code's gonna change, so I'm guessing that game will never start.

18. I’m a bit late to the party but would love to try this if anybody is setting another one up...

tZvDKGx4RQGlhCO5

19. athros says:

I gotcha.

I'll start another game with all the people I have, Normal map, 6 people.

The Lands of Tosami

20. I didn’t get the lands of tosami request yet, which makes me wonder if each player is only sent the invite when the previous player has accepted and passed the game on.

21. The Fields of Tribes is still sitting there: "Halfvoid can start the game. Time up!"
    no autostart. not vanished.

I did not get an invitation for The Lands of Tosami (yet?)

22. I can't see that game in my list, so boot me if you can.

23. JMH.75 says:

Bit late, but here is my id: P44gXe8gcvolnVpy
    Open for invites :grinning:

24. no, i can't kick you. a message comes up telling me "Sorry, it is not your turn yet!".
    because the game has not been started ("Halfvoid can start the game").

this game is stranded and will keep hanging around. no problem.

25. @halfvoid, the computer bot stomped over me in our "2P with a Bot" game too.

was it normal or hard? please don't tell me it was easy :flushed:

26. It was crazy.

Seems like crazy is a lot stronger AI in multiplayer than single player.

27. GG @halfvoid. I think I was lucky to get the jump on you there. I also have to comment that I didn’t choose the name for our next game, it was auto generated. I’m quite tickled by the idea of playing a round called ‘poooian tales’ and wish I had actually come up with it, but I can’t take credit

28. @Snotty128, your turn to pick a tribe in Mysterious Hills. timer already expired.

29. I did see a rogue ‘mysterious hills’ invite but I already have a game called mysterious hills. There’s no second mysterious hills game with you on my list

30. who would be ready to play a fast game with 4-5 moves per day?

31. js619 says:

I’m in, @JammaTal. Pacing of the mp hasn’t been up to my liking so far, especially for a game like this that lives on my iPhone.

32. yup, and the turns are so short that they can be done in no time and between.

anybody else for a fast game?

33. I’m guessing this game is going to be faster than you hoped. As we haven’t met yet I can only assume youre on an island, and on an impoverished vengir island at that. I’ll grab a screenshot when we are done to show the starting position imbalance.

34. absolutely isolated! on an island but no access to water (except to a small lake). only one forest. hopeless.
    i had to develop forestry for improving my city, but with 4 stars income each development takes ages.
    bummer :unamused:
    i found a giant in ancient ruins but no way to exploit my military might in early game. now it's too late.
    ready to resign.

only way to transform fields into farms is to plant forests to burn them down?
    long way to develop three different tech trees.

35. js619 says:

If you research farming, a field might pop up? I forget if you see them beforehand or not... or research ports, that'll grow you two at least for that little square?

36. so only "popping up" for the Vengir? very interesting. think i must read the Polytopia Wiki.
    when i researched organization and farming i already had grown some forests, so only 1 or 2 fields left in that moment.

so i may have minimized my chances. that and bad bad luck in this game.
    my plans to mimic the Dothraki were obsolete right from the start when i saw my starting position :slight_frown:

37. js619 says:

I'm the same way - it sorely needs badges.

38. js619 says:

Agreed. My badges on Twilight Struggle never completely disappear for whatever reason, but at least it reminds me there may be a move hidden in there. I completely forget about Polytopia moves, especially when the banner is hidden fifteen scrolls down amidst my other notifications.

39. js619 says:

I thought I was only playing against a bot! As soon as I completed my turn, I could see the Luxidoor moving, and then it was my turn again. Got tired of fighting the superior AI lol and resigned - had no idea you were still involved!

40. not only me. Snotty was active too.
    btw congratulations to @Snotty128 for the win. i just resigned because the game was 110% decided :smirk:

we can see the "who is who and who is bot and who not" when tapping on the game in the opening menu.
    that helps a lot.

41. No worries dude. I’ve not got the vengir but they seem an all or nothing kind of tribe. If you can expand fast you have a chance, but if you don’t you’re left with crap starting land.

I’ve joined the polytopia discord and it’s very active. I get the feeling that 1v1 on a large map is seen as a true test, as it evens out some of the randomness of your starting position. If anyone wants to play like this let me know or send me an invite.

42. js619 says:

I'd do a 1v1 - and I completely agree on the vengir. I've picked them more than once and had a tough go of it, more so than when purely playing the AI.

Do you have a link for that discord?

43. This should work https://discord.gg/uyD64Rn . I got to it through the app or website, but I don’t remember how.

Also Invite sent, meluian hills

44. I’m starting to get the invisible unit bug in our game. Only had it on large maps so far. The end turn button turns blue when all your units have moved, if it’s not blue yet then tap and hold it and it will take you to the next unit that needs orders, even if that unit is invisible.

45. Here’s a screenshot of my interior. I got a lot of really good tips from my tribe leader with screenshots of how he beat me. I suspect its all about the economy. It’s a system that works on perfection mode where I’ve got 65k with it, and my leader got 120k today.

It’s chopped off my income which is currently 90* a turn. Customs houses are insane

46. I’ve timed out of a few games, and the reason is simple: no app badge. Getting a notification is nice, but if I don’t play my turn right away, I forget about that notification. I’d say at least 90% of my notifications appear when I’m in the middle of something else.

So that’s technically “user error” on my part, but the devs could make my life a lot easier by adding badges.

47. i must say the 'invisible unit bug' is really nasty.
    esp when it comes down to opponents' units.

i assume the dev knows about it?
    let's hope for a fix.

48. js619 says:

I have to admit to not liking the multiplayer aspect of this one whatsoever. The missing unit bug is irritating, but I don't think that's it... maybe it's that games take too long? It's a simple game and sometimes it's forever between turns... but that's not completely it either. I can't really put my finger on it, but I don't love this as mp.

Continue the discussion discourse.statelyplay.com