There’s something a little less exciting about a game releasing when it’s been available on Steam Early Access for a long time prior to going “live”. I mean, I’ve been playing Factorio for so long now that if they took it out of EA and into actual release, I doubt I’d really notice. That said, Star Traders: Frontiers is a Trese Brothers game and we kind of love those around these parts. If you need reminding, they’re the dynamic duo behind the oft-overlooked but much-loved Templar Battleforce. Star Traders: Frontiers went live while I was at Gen Con and I’m dying to dive into it.
Star Traders: Frontiers is an RPG set in SPAAAAACE! allowing you to pick just about any role and run with it as you traverse the galaxy. Want to be a pirate? How about a bounty hunter? A boring merchant? Whatever! You can play however you want by putting together the crew and ship of your dreams and jumping across the galaxy.
- Explore a rich, open universe: Discover endless procedurally-generated galactic maps, meet unique characters, and take on enemies to conquer the galaxy!
- Become an intergalactic captain: Take on the role of a spy, smuggler, explorer, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, and more (26 jobs total)!
- Customize your own spaceship: Choose from more than 300 upgrades and build your very own vessel to venture across the vast reaches of space.
- Assemble and tailor a loyal crew: Assign talents and equip specialized gear for every spaceship crew member.
- Experience an ever-changing narrative: Decide to make friends or foes with other factions and influence political, economic, and personal vendettas.
- Mold the crew by your choices: As you make decisions and set the tone for your ship, your crew will grow and change to match. Destroy enemy ships with all hands on deck and your crew will become more bloodthirsty and savage. Explore distant worlds and loot dangerous wastelands and your crew will become intrepid and clever … or scarred and half-mad.
- Varied Difficulty Options! play with save slots to try out different builds or storylines or turn on character permadeath and enjoy classic roguelike experience
In other words, it sounds amazing and we can expect it to be even more amazing than it sounds due to the Trese Brothers’ usual dedication to immersion and world-building.
The only thing I’m not excited about comes from the available platforms. Currently, Star Traders: Frontiers is only available via Steam for PC/Mac/Linux. Now, they have older games (including the aforementioned Templar Battleforce) that made it to mobile. Will ST:F follow suit? Digging around the Trese Brothers’ forums, it looks like an iOS and Android version are in the works, but I haven’t heard anything “official”, yet. Let’s assume we’ll see it on our tablets someday, but celebrate its Steam release now.