PS4, Xbox, PC •
While trudging through the usual Stately spam this morning, I stumbled on a press release proclaiming that Space Hulk: Tactics gets a release date. I was confused. First of all, there’s already a couple digital versions of Space Hulk out there and, secondly, what the hell is with that subtitle, “tactics”? Turns out that there’s a new version of Space Hulk (yes, the same board game that’s been around since the 80s) coming to digital and they added “Tactics” to the end to differentiate it from the versions that already exist. What differentiates Tactics from the other versions on Steam? Cards.
SH: Tactics is developed by Cyanide Studios who you might know from digital versions of Blood Bowl or, if you’re one of the unlucky ones, their takes on the Song of Ice and Fire series. The press release we received this morning bellows that SH: Tactics is a faithful adaptation of the tabletop game, but also boasts of an innovative new card system. Hmm.
Because it’s already late, I’m going to just blurb this one out so you can get to the trailer quicker:
Battle through two distinct, narrative-driven campaigns: lead a Blood Angels squad, which you will customise and upgrade as you progress, or take control of the Genestealers for the first time in a Space Hulk game!
Space Hulk: Tactics is based on the rules of the popular board game, given a fresh new spin in the form of the unique Card system. Cards provide more ways to customize your squad and allow you to turn the tide of battle with powerful abilities that trigger game-changing effects when used at the right moment.
Test your skills against other players in the expansive online competitive multiplayer. Command a swarm of Genestealers or a custom squad of different unit types from one of four Space Marine Chapters available – the Blood Angels, the Space Wolves, the Ultramarines, and the Dark Angels. The game includes a built-in intuitive map creation tool, to design your own original maps with custom objectives, and share them with other players!
- A faithful adaptation of the Warhammer 40,000 board game Space Hulk, with a fresh twist to the classic rules
- Engage in bloody tactical battles aboard a gigantic Space Hulk
- Play through two campaigns from the point of view of the Blood Angels, and for the first time in a Space Hulk game, the deadly Genestealers!
- Customize your units of Dark Angels, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and even Genestealers with hundreds of cosmetic items, cards, and equipment.
- Challenge players online, playing either Genestealers or one of four Space Marines Chapters
- Create and share your own missions with an intuitive map creation tool
Space Hulk: Tactics is coming for PS4, Xbox, and PC on October 9, but if you preorder you can get it for 10% off and also get some other bling. They also released a gameplay trailer, so take a gander at that below. (You have to go more than halfway through to see any actual gameplay…)