iPad, Switch, Xbox, PC/Mac/Linux •
I know Darkest Dungeon has both its fans and critics around these parts (I’m steadfastly in the “fan” category), but even the haters can’t deny that the more big-name PC ports we get on iPad, the better. The downside of not being the game’s primary platform, however, comes with the slow pace of getting new content. We’re all still waiting for Aspyr to release the Rise & Fall expansion for Civ VI on iPad, for example. The latest DLC for Darkest Dungeon, the Color of Madness, was unleashed on Steam back in June but those of us who play on our iPads or Switches were left in the lurch, waiting for any news of its appearance on our platform of choice. Today, that news finally broke. The Color of Madness will be coming to all platforms–iPad, console, Switch–on October 11.
The Color of Madness adds the story of a mysterious meteorite fallen to earth that, of course, mucks things up in the most Lovecraftian way possible. It adds a new region, the Farmstead, as well as a bunch of new farmer-monsters that are, I’m sure, only 1/3 as scary as the X-Files’ Peacock family.
Some hateful shard of alien origin has streaked through the night sky, crashing into the old Miller’s farm on the outskirts of the Hamlet! Those unfortunate enough to witness the Comet’s arrival have been blinded by what they can only describe as a shifting, ephemeral hue of damnably abrasive intensity. There has been no word from the farm in a fortnight, save for the unearthly groaning that echoes from the ruin of the mill…
- New region: The Farmstead!
- Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.
- Twisted new trinkets, available for purchase from the Jeweler. Put your gold away—he trades only in Comet Shards!
- All-New Enemy Faction: The Miller and his loyal workmen have become eerie husks of their former selves.
- 3 new bosses – The Miller, The Thing From the Stars, and the Comet itself!
- New Curios help keep your party in fighting shape as you face the endless hordes!
- Expand your Hamlet with 4 new District buildings and reap their benefits.
- New Quirks, with unique and powerful effects!
- Our biggest soundtrack addition yet from Stuart Chatwood
Apart from the new expansion content, Red Hook Studios is also throwing in a new hero for FREE, the Musketeer. They’re also throwing in the huge balance update that was uploaded to Steam back in June.
The Color of Madness (and other content) is coming to iPad, Switch, and Xbox One on October 11th via a $5 IAP. If you already bought one of the “bundles”, you’ll have to purchase the new content separately, but if you haven’t yet delved into Darkest Dungeon, you should be able to buy a bundle including all DLC (even Color of Madness) on Switch and Xbox after the 11th.